Cake 1,2,3...
Cakes 1 and 2 were my first cakes to celebrate my 36th year of life. My friends in the garden got cake from a darling cafe in Manitou Springs, Adams Mountain Cafe. We couldn't decide on just one so we sampled two different cakes.
1. Angel Food Cake with roasted strawberry sauce and homemade whip cream. This cake was soooo good. It was made as a mini bundt and the strawberry sauce soaked through the cake. My grandma rates food served to her by: very good, good, ok and bad, so I think I'll use the same system.
VG for this cake.
2. Flourless Chocolate Cake served with homemade whip and carmel sauce. I must admit I have never had carmel sauce on cake. I loved it together. Flourless chocolate cakes can be very rich so the whip cream and carmel helped to cut the flavor. VG for this cake.
My conclusion is that Adams Mountain Cafe had amazing desserts and I hope to try more! Thanks to my friends for spoiling me with these great treats!
Cake 3 was a homemade cake from my mother. We went to my parents house to get away from the noise of the new roof (side note: wahoo we have a new roof!!). My mom brewed a fresh pot of coffee and shared some homemade coffee cake. The recipe belongs to my long time friend Judy who is an amazing baker. This coffee cake was so good the kids and I all got a second piece! We sat on the deck in the shade and ate cake. It was a wonderful morning!
3. Coffee Cake from Judy's recipe box
VG, great for gatherings of friends and family
Buttermilk Coffee Crumb Cake
(an old Pennsylvania dutch recipe)
2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 large egg
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
Instructions: sift flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt. set aside. Beat butter until light. Add sugar, beat until light. Beat in egg. Add sifted flour mix alternatively with the buttermilk. Pour into well greased 9x13 baking pan. Add crumb topping. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. cool 15-20 minutes.

Comments
Post a Comment